No matter the sport, Chris will figure out the best way to improve your performance on the court, field, track, in the pool and wherever else you need to perform your best. You won’t find a more all-around program offered in one session anywhere else, guaranteed.
Ways Exercise Progression can help you in over 20 sports
- Rebound strength
- Post-up strength
- Fitness levels
- Jumping ability
- Injury prevention
- Mental strength
- Visualizing success
- Lateral speed
- Fitness levels
- Ability to handle hard hit balls
- Faster reactions
- Better balance and coordination
- Increase stride length
- Become inexhaustible
Just to give you an idea of some of the stuff you will be learning with Chris, check out these simple rules for functional training.
7 simple rules for functional training
- The more an exercise resembles a specific movement (sports), the stronger and more efficient the athlete gets at that precise movement.
- Proper training leads to efficient coordination, which leads to less wear and tear, which in turn improves stamina.
- There are many variables that require manipulation in order to get all aspects of a sport or activity properly trained for, and if you miss one then your program could be wasted.
- Some of these variables are; speed, volume, intensity, range of motion, duration, rest, frequency, exercise order, exercise selection, and more.
- There are 3 planes of motion that the body moves in, and all of them need to be trained separately and together in order to get truly functional results.
- Functional exercise training can be mixed with sport drills to enhance strength and stamina in the exact movements of the sport.
- It is important to make sure that although the exercises are functional, they do not cause more unnecessary repetitive stress on the athlete in the same muscles and joints that they get it in from their sport.
Along with performance, there is another essential factor for youth sports – INJURIES. Luckily for you and your kid, that is what separates Chris from the rest in the youth sports training business – Chris always includes injury prevention strategies in his programs.
Check out these Frightening Stats on Kids Injuries!
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that:
- High school athletes alone account for an estimated 2 million injuries, 500,000 doctor visits and 30,000 hospitalizations every year, with almost half of these being from overuse
- Orthopedic surgeons are now seeing two trends: 1) a rapid increase in the number of youth sports injuries and 2) a drop in the age of young athletes with overuse injuries.
According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, every year more than 3.5 million children age 14 and younger are treated for sports injuries.
Signs that parents should look for that might indicate an overuse injury include:
- Favoring one side of the body over the other.
- Appearing to be in pain when using a certain body part.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Stiffness in muscles or joints.
Here are just a few quotes from Dr. James Andrews, an orthopedic surgeon, president of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine and co-chairman of the Stop Sports Injuries campaign. To read more click here.
“Sports used to be seasonal. If you played youth baseball, you used to have the winter off. Now, people think playing all year is supposed to make you better, but more isn’t always better,” Andrews said.
He said he’s seeing a lot of kids in his practice who have adult-type injuries, and are requiring extensive reconstructive surgeries before they’re even out of high school.
“Young kids are a lot more vulnerable because they have cartilage that’s soft, muscles that are weak and they’re still growing,” said Andrews.
Along down the line this will turn into arthritis and other issues that can be irreversible.
Thankfully these stats can be dramatically improved with preventative care and the right functional training.
This is where I come in.
The Overuse Solution
- Based on my evaluation I will give you exercises that balance tension surrounding the joints and keep your body moving efficiently.
- Based on your sport I will create a program that enhances your strength, speed, power and coordination in exactly the ways YOU need it.
- I will work with you to create an overall program that includes YEAR BY YEAR training strategies to avoid overuse injuries and aches and pains.
Still wondering if you should choose Exercise Progression or even functional training?
Here’s the question to ask yourself;
Is it worth it to train hard without a well balanced plan and risk arthritis and surgeries in the future?