· 2 cups flour (sifted)
· 2 tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp salt
· 4 large eggs, separated
· 2 T sugar
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
· 4 T unsalted butter, melted
· 2 cups milk (or substitute with almond milk)
· Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar. Add the vanilla extract, melted butter and milk and whisk to combine.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just blended. Do not overmix.
5. In third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peak forms, about one minute.
6. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Do not overmix!
7. Spray the waffle iron with the non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter to just cover the waffle grid.
8. Close and cook as per manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown, about 2 -3 minutes.