I really don’t know why I have never made pureed carrot soup before. We always have a 5 pound bag of them in our fridge, to be used in salads, veggie stews, and for juicing. (My daughter prefers them whole!) So we thought it would be fun to try something new, especially during our cleanse. It’s both gluten and dairy free. And can be vegan if used with veggie broth instead of chicken. Carrots are rich with carotenoids which have been linked to reducing certain cancers and they’re also a great source of antioxidants which help fight free radicals in our body.
We prepared this soup for dinner to accompany our sushi. It actually made a great dipping sauce for the sushi instead of the typical wasabi. It’s soo easy to make and the combination of carrots with the curry flavor was superb!
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth if you prefer)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 pounds peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Cook onion until tender. Add cumin, coriander and turmeric. Add a little bit of salt and pepper if desired. Stir spices and onion together for about a minute.
- Add the broth, chopped carrots and the two cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Allow to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Place in another saucepan to reheat and add the lemon juice.
Garnish your creation with the fresh cilantro or parsley!