Ok, I know what you are thinking, and I agree. It isn’t the “prettiest” looking bar you’ve seen. But remember what your mom taught you, it’s what’s in the inside that matters. Why spend your hard earned money on those “other” bars when you can make your own?
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 10 fresh dates, pitted
- 2 T coconut oil (can be melted or in solid form)
- 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- zest of one lemon
- In a food processor, chop nuts until semi coarse . Place nuts in a small mixing bowl.
- Put dates and remaining ingredients in processor and chop until well blended.
- Remove the date mixture from the processor and mix well with the nuts. Press into a small ungreased pan depending on the thickness of the bar; you choose!
If mixture appears to be a little too moist, add additional chopped nuts, about 1/4 cup.(note, you are not limited to macadamias or cashews;almonds are a great alternative). If mixture is too dry, add more lemon juice or coconut oil.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours to set and cut to size. The bars can be a bit sticky, so recommend wrapping in plastic wrap or wax paper and keep cool until ready to eat.
Another option is to simply store the mixture in a jar like peanut butter, and eat by the spoonful!
What’s great about these bars is the sky is the limit! Eliminate the ginger and add a couple teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Or add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, some nutmeg and cacao powder…use your imagination and create flavors your whole family can enjoy! This is still a work in progress for us, but we are enjoying the process. 🙂
(Great for fueling the active person!)